FIGMENT offers an alternative to the traditional art scene in Toronto, using interaction and collaboration as tools for wild creativity, and being completely free and open to the public. For information about this year's event in Toronto please visit our Event Page!
Remember to bring anything that you might need for the day.
There are no stores on Olympic Island but there are several restaurants, services, and activities on the other connecting islands. The islands also have restrooms, first aid/lost child, police, and fire depart facilities.
THINGS TO BRING:
- Drinking water: Bring your own or a use your own water bottle to fill up at any of the public water fountains
- Picnic food and snacks to eat and share
- Picnic blankets and comfy seating should you wish to relax
- Sun protection: Sunscreen, a floppy hat or parasol, and sunglasses
- Toys: Sidewalk chalk, kites, hula hoops, croquet sets, water guns… anything that you want to play with or invite others to join you in!
- Any necessary medications
- Costumes: FIGMENT is the perfect time to play make-believe (for both kids & adults!)
The following items are PROHIBITED on the Island – please do not bring them:
- Glass containers
- Cars (vehicle traffic on the Island is limited to those who have advance permission and only in designated areas)
- Anything that is not legal to have in public in the City of Toronto
BRINGING YOUR ART
We invite you to bring your art, performance, or artistic endeavours… and hope that you will take advantage of FIGMENT as a creative outlet for your work. Please note that you cannot bring anything that needs to be staked into the ground, be connected to a power source, plotted on the map, or scheduled for a stage or performance area unless your project is pre-registered with FIGMENT.
LEAVE NO TRACE!
Have you ever been to an event where you see garbage lying everywhere and people walk by it hoping that if they ignore it somehow it will magically disappear? Leave no trace means…
- We are all committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves to leave each place in a better state than we found it.
- You try to pack in and pack out anything you bring; even if there are garbage cans! Remember garbage cans can only hold so much garbage and if everyone uses them, they will overflow.
- If a garbage can is full and you can’t pack out your garbage, hold onto it until you can find an empty garbage can somewhere else on the islands.
MOOP! Be a MOOP ambassador (Matter Out Of Place) by…
- Picking up any garbage you walk by and placing it in a garbage bin or packing it out with you.
- Educating others. There is nothing wrong with politely explaining the importance of Leave No Trace to others who have accidentally dropped garbage or are creating MOOP.
By helping with leave no trace you make our volunteers working end of day Sunday much happier as they can go home earlier if there is less garbage to pick up and deal with. The last thing hard working volunteers wish to do is clean up garbage at the end of an event.